A Guide to Living & Working in Guernsey

Chapter 2: Relocating to Guernsey



You do not need permission from the Guernsey Border Agency to live or set up a business on the island if:

  • You are a British citizen
  • You are a national of a member state of the European Economic Area or Switzerland
  • You are a national with permanent settlement in the UK, Bailiwick of Jersey, or the Isle of Man
  • You have gained a Right of Abode UK


If these circumstances do not apply to you, you must obtain entry clearance with a Visa before arrival to the island. You can apply for entry clearance online through the British Consular representative in your country of residence. You should seek advice from Guernsey Border Agency before doing so.


You could also take the Investor Immigration route or Entrepreneur Immigration route to Guernsey. These routes are available to non-EU passport holders who wish to live in Guernsey’s Open Market – either through investing in the island or buying or establishing a business here.


To take the Investor Immigration route, you need to obtain an Investor Visa. You must have £1m available and invest £750,000 for the benefit of Bailiwick of Guernsey. Alternatively, Entrepreneur Visa holders must invest £200,000 into a new or existing Guernsey company which you will manage yourself.


Getting Here

Getting to Guernsey is simple. If travelling by air, there are many regular flights from the UK and Europe all year round, and takes just 45 minutes from Gatwick. Many airlines provide services to Guernsey – including Aurigny, Flybe, Blue Islands, AirBerlin and Fly VLM.


If travelling by sea, there are regular ferry services to and from Portsmouth, Poole, Weymouth, Jersey and France. Trips from the UK to Guernsey take just 3 hours and ship directly to St Peter Port, which is Guernsey’s capital. There are many ferry services to choose from, including Condor Ferries, Manche Iles Express and Bumblebee Boat Cruises.


If arriving from the UK, you do not need a passport but will need photo ID. If travelling from outside the UK, you will need a passport or travel document.